Sunday, August 25, 2013

Chima and Chocolate


NOTE: Sara’s blog has moved to a new location: http://saraelizabethcakes.com. Feel free to browse around my tutorials here, then come check out my new site!






I'm glad to know my 9 year old is not the only one obsessed with Legos. It used to be Lego Ninjago. Now it's on to Lego Chima. I have no idea what exactly Chima is . . .  I'm not sure my 9 year old does either. All I know that Lego Creators and Marketers are genius, due to the response. And, I'm happy to see my boys self-entertaining with imaginative play and building!


This cake was commissioned for a darling 6 year old Chima fanatic. His mother wanted a cake on which she could place his gift: Chima figurines. There wasn't much out there as far as design ideas for me to pull from, since Chima is relatively new. So, I'm happy to say, this design is 100% original! And had me stumped for a while . . .



I opted to pipe the wording over a template, rather than try to cut fondant around a template. I love this simple, sure-fire technique.

  1. Print off your logo or wording, place it on a firm cutting board, tape wax paper over it
  2. Choose your color of Wilton (etc) candy melts, place several in a zip lock bag, and microwave in 10 second increments or less until melted and smooth.
  3. Snip a small hole in the corner of said zip lock bag
  4. Carefully pipe/trace over the wording onto the wax paper.
  5. Set aside to dry and harden until use.
Some people prefer to flip the wording backwards, then pipe, so that when you apply it to the cake the bumpy side sits in the cake, while the smooth surface faces out. I opted for the raised texture this time.

The cake was two 6" layers of chocolate cake, torted and filled with a fresh Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream (a scrumptious buttery bit of heaven), per the mother's request. The exterior is a vanilla American Buttercream, with vines and leaves piped with the same. Leaves were done with the #18 Wilton leaf tip. 


The piece de resistance? Lego Chima itself--no modeling or fondant required. Doesn't get easier than that!  Present? Check. Cake? Check. 

I'm a fan!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave a comment!